Spark Studio Salem is a social space for making, providing tools, resources and connections; we empower our community to satisfy their creative drive.
To achieve the vision, Spark Studio Salem makerspace:
- Facilitates intra-community learning and encourages the intersection of technology and art;
- Encourages social connections through common space and facilitation of Maker events;
- Provides local opportunities for skill training, collaboration, and lifelong learning;
- Provides access to tools that would otherwise be out of reach;
- Supports our community regardless of skill, income, or background.
Spark Studio Salem is the name we’ve given our mission of forming a makerspace in Salem, a sort of shared mad scientist garage… A community that encourages and empowers each member to learn and create through peer mentoring, dedicated work / social space, tools, and misc resources that are beyond what each member could comfortably manage on their own.
As of July 2019, we have conducted a survey of interest levels and types in Salem, registered as an official non-profit organization with state and federal agencies, held several one-off events, established a monthly “First Tuesday Social” (7pm at Salem Ale Works), and working on establishing a monthly “Third Thursday Maker Night” (5p-9p at Center 50+, 2nd floor Craft room), and are in ongoing search for dedicated space.
The makerspace board currently consists of Kaydee, D Duncan, and Jeremy. We have a nomination committee (Sarah, Jeremy, D Duncan, Chris, Duncan B, and Carl) that’s seeking additional board member candidates.